I’m going to rewind a bit. I started making games in DOS, using GW-BASIC (and later QuickBASIC) on my first 16-bit computer.
These games aren’t much to talk about, being that I was just a pre-teen at the time. Nontheless, the games hold a special place in my heart. I fondly remember the days of puzzling out the code needed to make my first platformer game. This was all before the Internet, and my only source of documentation was the GW-BASIC Technical Reference Manual by Microsoft.
Twenty-six years later, and I am presented with a unique problem. All of the data I used to store the graphics for my games is now unreadable. JPG and BMP didn’t exist. GIF was around, but it was unknown to me. Universal image file formats were not a common occurrence.
Like everyone else around that time, I stored my image files in extremely unique and proprietary formats. In particular, I used BSAVEd sections of video memory.